According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, is there a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning in York about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning. A regular inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in bad or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your York home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning at 717-383-4479 or arrange an appointment online.