Spring is in the air here in York and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning team has some tips that will help keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning in York a call at 717-383-4479.