Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in York, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Strine's Heating & Air Conditioning in York a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 717-383-4479 or schedule an appointment with us online.